addons not showing up

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
liiskamato

addons not showing up

Post by liiskamato »

addon aircraft are not reckognized by the sim, I have tried putting them in the addons folder in documents, the root of the sim files and in objects/aircraft, I have also tried making an entry in the addons.cfg file but no matter what they just don't show up in vechiles or the addons tab in settings, I have tried 2 aircraft neither of which work.

I have just installed the sim and the aircraft are project airbus a320 and some freeware a380.
JorgenSA

Re: addons not showing up

Post by JorgenSA »

When you download those add-on aircraft, there should be some installation instructions in the package.

It is really, really important that you read, understand and then follow those instructions to the letter. If there's anything in them that you do not understand, then you need to ask questions from that particular aircraft's developer. Some developers have support forums, if they do then ask there, and there will be plenty of people that will help you there.

And the instructions differ from developer to developer, and from aircraft to aircraft.

I don't mean to sound harsh or unwilling to help, but you need to cover the basics first.

In general, there will be a folder of some sorts containing the aircraft itself. Depending on how the developer packaged the aircraft, that one would go into the SimObjects folder, or the folder may even be called SimObjects, in which case you copy the contents of that folder into your simulator's SimObjects folder.

There usually , but not necessarily, can be other folders like Effects, Sound or Texture. The contents of those folders go into into the same folders in your simulator.

This is very general, and I cannot be more specific, because I do not have those aircraft that you mention myself.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
liiskamato

Post by liiskamato »

this solved it, if anyone else is wondering the same thing, turned out it doesn't work if you just copy the folder to the right place when you have multiple liveries, instead you need to copy an individual livery.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Glad this made sense to you!

You see now what I mean: every developer packages their product (aircraft, sceneries etc etc) differently, so you have to take a moment to sit back and read the instructions, just in case there is a surprise in there. I do that all the time even after starting with the old FSX back in 2007.

Happy flying -

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.