P3D V6 hangs on start.

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
737Larty

Re: P3D V6 hangs on start.

Post by 737Larty »

G'day,
I run the ProSim Boeing 738 ( 737-800) in Qantas livery ( which really doesn't matter with a full cockpit sim. ) Mainly OrbX add on scenery.

I have just downloaded a fresh P3DV6 and will have another go later in the week. Jorgen... your comment about the various systems is valid. However... when P3D gives us a set of parameters for the program to run on, and we fulfil those requirements, you would normally expect the program to run. I would expect the requirements to be not so narrow for the consumer market that the program falters.
If you are interested this is the link to my YouTube channel .

youtube.com/@lestaylorB737sim
Regards
Les
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello 737Larty,
Les

Is ProSim Boeing 738 ( 737-800) updated / approved for P3D6?

Any other software required to run ProSim?

Have you installed P3D by itself and tested the default P3D6 product e.g. P3D6 Personal patch3 without any other Add-ons running?

Note:
I only have one aircraft approved and installed in P3D6 Personal Patch 3 (6.0.30.30926) Majestic Dash8.

I have PMDG's 737's but they are not approved for P3D6 yet.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
X-ray Mike

Post by X-ray Mike »

Just a quick update....

Put all suggestions in place, but no luck.

Its late here, will try again tomorrow.
X-ray Mike
64 Bit Windows 10 PRO/Intel Core I9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz/64 GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI/3x1 TB SSD, 2x2 TB SSD, 1x4 TB HD
737Larty

Post by 737Larty »

G'day Martyson
You may have noticed that I haven't even got P3D V6 to fire up on the default "raw" settings , let alone doing any add add-ons.
ProSim is a stand alone avionics program so not sure what your question regarding "other software required " meant.
I haven't had time to delve into which of my many add-ons in my V5 have been updated for P3Dv6. It is always a slow process for the providers of the programs to catch up to a major upgrade.
At the moment I would be happy if the program just fired up to the default. !!
To Xray Mike .... Yes me too. Tried every suggestion. The latest was a new clean down load but still the same result.

Regards
Les
X-ray Mike

Post by X-ray Mike »

Question:

Does anyone know if there is a list of files that P3Dv6 looks for (and needs in order to load) when booting up. That would be like MS files/drivers, graphics files/drivers, etc. Available requirement information for P3Dv6 seems to be very limited. It would be easer to look up all the required files make sure they exist on the PC.

Tonight's P3Dv4 attempt resulted in a Hanging Splash screen. Is it possible that there is a window hiding behind the splash screen waiting for a command before loading can continue. NOTE: Splash screen is not movable and I don't know of anyway to toggle it on/off, all I can do is end the task.

Les - Like you I installed this time from a fresh download using Chrome instead of Edge. Results were the same.

Having fun yet?
X-ray Mike
64 Bit Windows 10 PRO/Intel Core I9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz/64 GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI/3x1 TB SSD, 2x2 TB SSD, 1x4 TB HD
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Mike,

I'm always having fun, but then again my wife says my sense of humor may be a little... er, skewed.

But, seriously: I don't know of such a list, but one thing you certainly need is updated .NET Framework and C++ libraries.

I always urge people to go to Microsoft, look for those and download them, both the x86 and x64 versions. Install everything, then run Windows Update, and under Update have the switch "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" set to ON, and leave this switch on to get the necessary updates in the future.

I also at one time had a very annoying problem, and no matter what I did it would not go away. So I thought "what the hay", and since I have the disk space, I installed all I could find of Microsoft's Visual Studio. That took care of it - but is not something I would consider necessary for everyone.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
737Larty

Post by 737Larty »

G'day,
Usually you can see "hidden" panels etc. on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Shows as the main one open with another peeking out from behind. This is not the case in my scenario though. Just hover over the task bar icon and all will be revealed.....hopefully. You can kill the offending window with the red X once the panel shows .
I am giving the installation a rest for a few days to see if the computer fairies come in and fix things......
I have more pressing problems of my 5.1 audio in the sim deciding it would become "3.1" that is, two front speakers not working. Mystery ??

Regards
Les
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Not sure if content error reporting is turned on by default. However, when it is turned on the file that gets created can be found here:

Documents > Prepar3D files v6 > ContentErrorLog.txt

Just wondering if that would provide you any insights.

If for some reason it's not turned on, I think you can change that by editing the Prepar3d.cfg file.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

You can turn Content reporting on at the Options screen.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
737Larty

Post by 737Larty »

G'day
Just an update so it is not left hanging.
I have not been able to get my P3DV6 started after many attempts. Some of the ideas put forward assumed the program had indeed started. Not the case here, as it stalls before being installed . I will have to put it aside for a while. I am going to clone my P3Dv5 500 GB SSD onto a 1TB SSD as I am at the limit with all my add ons. It's also handy to have a backup clone of the Sim drive should it pack up. Had it happen several years ago and was a very tedious job re installing everything. I just did the same for my Office computer as a test run and it took about one and a half hours and worked flawlessly.
I will keep my eye on this post.
Thanks for the input.
Regards
Les
737Larty

Post by 737Larty »

Gentlemen and others,
My problem was not solved but.....
I purchased a new 2TB SSD for other storage and decided to see if I could instal P3DV6 on it. I started with a formatted , clean, no Windows drive.
This drive became the second "E" drive (storage) in my existing main computer in the sim. I installed P3D into this drive completely by itself and not into the C drive Program Files of the main computer. This was once again a fresh downloaded copy of P3dV6 from LM Downloads.
This time the program installed and I was able to Activate and it opened all OK. Not as before when it stalled before even getting to the activation page.
That's why I said my problem was not solved... because I have no idea why this installation went without a hitch and the previous MANY attempts failed. No clue at all as to what the solution was because the whole process was the same except for installing to a drive without Window installed on it.
Thank you all for your comments and advice.
Regards
Les
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Les, two things spring to mind when this installation succeeded.

One is UAC (when you install to the default location), the second one anti-virus. And there may be others...

Happy flying -

Jorgen

Post by 32270362 »

Hello Les
Did you solved your issue today because I have the same problem with p3D V5 (hangs on start screen scenario)
All the best
Utilisateur de P3D V5 depuis 2020
X-ray Mike

Post by X-ray Mike »

Hey All

Still no luck. P3Dv6 hangs at initial splash screen when trying to launch program (just like all the past attempts).

Still up to date using everybody's suggestions.

Only new thing to happen ... there has been two updates successfully installed in P3Dv6.

X-ray Mike
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

X-ray Mike wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:56 pm Hey All

Still no luck. P3Dv6 hangs at initial splash screen when trying to launch program (just like all the past attempts).

Still up to date using everybody's suggestions.

Only new thing to happen ... there has been two updates successfully installed in P3Dv6.

X-ray Mike
Hello X-ray Mike ,
My system is about the same as yours.

Is your PC state still the new WIN10, P3D6 Personal 6.0.35.31017 (patch 5) with nothing else?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)