P3D vs MS2020

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
choppa

Re: P3D vs MS2020

Post by choppa »

In our Flight Sim group, one of our members has built a full size 737 cockpit...fully functional....I must admit that is what got me interested in tube liners. I also know a few 737 pilots that tried out his sim and were extremely impressed by the systems accuracy, so much so, they reckon they could use it as a training sim. His system uses the Ifly version because it has add ons which make it perfect for cockpit builders.
In regard to twins, I don't have my multi engine or instrument rating, but a friend whom is a flying instructor tried the Carenado Chieftain on my set up and was surprised how accurate most of the systems were. Carenado have been know for their looks, not necessarily for their fidelity....but they are getting better. But I will have a crack at the twins on MFS and do a few ILS approaches as well as some Instrument flying and see how they compare to the add ons in P3D.
JRS

Post by JRS »

What I personally love with P3D is:

+ by far less network traffic for scenery download again and again
+ no purchase of new HW necessary to get comparable experience
+ SW and addons for P3D very well-engineered, especially the latest developments after v4.4+
+ sophisticated scenario editor
+ huge amount of available HQ addons of all kind.
+ compared to some advantages of MSFS2020: the costs for new HW and SW (sceneries and aircraft) are too high for average users.
+++ What I really, really do prefer with P3D in particular: nearly _no_ gamblers here!
+/- All other pro's and con's have been already mentioned earlier by others.

BTW, I'm the one who says: It's important to have all surrounding objects and other POIs in their natural appearance and lighting at day/night/storm etc. P3D has it all. But I'm not the one who parks his plane aside and watches and admires the horse's crest moving in the winds stream. P3D is more a sophisticated sim/trainer as you already know. Nothing more to say about.

So I don't waste further time for ... I'm going to fly again by using LM P3D.
At this time also a big Thank You to all developers and other staff!

So I hope most of us will stay/continue with P3D. The _crew_ will surely investigate into further developments (e.g: sloped runways) as we support them in a manner they've earned.

Josef
Alox

Post by Alox »

With the last patch from MS2020 now i can fly but i still having stutters while i am look around. However I am still interested in the next update of P3D V5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah5iy4cjvi1fga8/MMPQ.mp4?dl=0

Regards.
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

Alox wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:28 pm With the last patch from MS2020 now i can fly but i still having stutters while i am look around. However I am still interested in the next update of P3D V5.

Regards.
Thanks for sharing this video. At the end, the video halts for some seconds. Is this also in the sim, a stutter like in P3D?

Regards

Dan
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Performance and Power (watts) Usage test

For this check I used a desktop PC with 2 monitors
KEWR 22R no AI traffic
P3D4.5HF3, Active Sky, PMDG737-600NGXu
MSFS [2020], Live weather, Textron Aviation Beechcraft King Air 350i
APC battery backup 360 watt

Item
P3D MSFS [2020]

Memory process
2GB 13GB

CPU
15% 4.68GHz 35% 4.68GHz

GPU
40% / 1.7 of 11GB 52% 8.5 of 11GB

Watts
140 to 165W 280 to 342W

Note :
I will purchase a bigger APC UPS
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Alox

Post by Alox »

Blaunarwal wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:09 am
Alox wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:28 pm With the last patch from MS2020 now i can fly but i still having stutters while i am look around. However I am still interested in the next update of P3D V5.

Regards.
Thanks for sharing this video. At the end, the video halts for some seconds. Is this also in the sim, a stutter like in P3D?

Regards

Dan
Hi.
The halts is due to recording process.
Regards.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

choppa wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:35 pm In our Flight Sim group, one of our members has built a full size 737 cockpit...fully functional....I must admit that is what got me interested in tube liners. I also know a few 737 pilots that tried out his sim and were extremely impressed by the systems accuracy, so much so, they reckon they could use it as a training sim. His system uses the Ifly version because it has add ons which make it perfect for cockpit builders.
In regard to twins, I don't have my multi engine or instrument rating, but a friend whom is a flying instructor tried the Carenado Chieftain on my set up and was surprised how accurate most of the systems were. Carenado have been know for their looks, not necessarily for their fidelity....but they are getting better. But I will have a crack at the twins on MFS and do a few ILS approaches as well as some Instrument flying and see how they compare to the add ons in P3D.
@choppa ,

Thanks for the follow up information.

You and your Flight Sim group might be interested in this MSFS [2020] A320 flight to check out some of the systems simulated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEmLMpLAnM4

Also, let me know your impression of the Twins you fly and the realism of the enroute weather, procedures (if used, SID/STAR/ILS approaches) on your first flights.

I am just testing Twin props MSFS [2020] with good overall results so far. Some flights on-line some off-line to MSFS servers.
Best Regards,
Uriah

Post by Uriah »

I have now spent a week on MSFS and there is no doubt as I said before that the graphics is outstanding. I have now flown various aircraft and am not impressed with the following:-
1) No reverse thrust on jetliners
2) Nose wheels (gear) do not turn left or right
3) cannot open doors or baggage holds
4) some switches in the cockpits are not functional

there are a few more but not that important, so as I said before, again.....this is for X-Box and made to look very pretty and not a flight simulator as such. I am really hoping that Lockheed Martin will intergrate this use of true earth maps and topography into P3D. P3D will then be in my opinion just...PERFECT.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Uriah wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:44 am I have now spent a week on MSFS and there is no doubt as I said before that the graphics is outstanding. I have now flown various aircraft and am not impressed with the following:-
2) Nose wheels (gear) do not turn left or right
3) cannot open doors or baggage holds
4) some switches in the cockpits are not functional

there are a few more but not that important, so as I said before, again.....this is for X-Box and made to look very pretty and not a flight simulator as such. I am really hoping that Lockheed Martin will intergrate this use of true earth maps and topography into P3D. P3D will then be in my opinion just...PERFECT.
Couple questions:

Does P3D have jetliners with baggage doors and reverse thrust?
Does P3D have some switches INOP?

Did you fly MSFS aircraft on full flights using flight plans/ navdata SID, STAR and approaches?

When you say MSFS {2020] is not a flight simulator what are you comparing it to in your real life experience?

Have you heard what real pilots (with pilot's licenses) have to say?
Example:
Read what David Womacks CFI,CFII,MEI answers this :

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5865 ... ocking-up/

“On 10/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, Pegaso said:
Seems many people still believe that MSFS2020 is/will be what its name says. It's a scenery simulator in some points of Earth - not flight at all....”

“Ok then enjoy the 2006 era graphics and horrible performance of P3D and FSX....... I’m a 2000+ hr commercial pilot and MSFS has way better flight dynamics than P3d or fsx the only sim that beats it is XP11 but the graphics of MSFS make up for that.. Now back on topic,I would report the issue to the Zendesk
David Womacks CFI,CFII,MEI “
Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ Uriah ,

You mentioned:
Posted 27 Aug 2020:
“Now that I have FS2020 setup and working, I will say that the graphics and colours of the scenery is outstanding. It is very very good but I hate the interface and it is difficult, beyond difficullt to get the controls similar to what we are all used to...or myself for that matter am used to.”

Posted 10 OCt 2020:
“I have now spent a week on MSFS and there is no doubt as I said before that the graphics is outstanding. I have now flown various aircraft and am not impressed with the following:-”

2) Nose wheels (gear) do not turn left or right”

So, your setup of MSFS [2020] the reversers and Nose Wheel Steering is INOP ?
Possibly your hardware has problems or is not configured (Controls) or not approved for MSFS [2020].

Got a couple screenshots for you.
This is what I see and is operational on my flights.

Best Regards,
netserv

Post by netserv »

As far as I can say after 20 Years of simming....

I changed to P3D as Microsoft announced, not to continue with developping. Also MS was allways very unstable, not so on P3D. Now I bought MSFS 2020 to find out differences and I think it is 1st overloaded and 2nd you are a slave of Microsoft running thir product. Why do I need a Microsoft account for simming ? And to be online all the time, hey whats wrong here ?

You have to accept a lot of overload with MS-Games and Xbox necessarities. I have no Xbox and never want one. Yes, online scenery downloads are sexy, but if you are interested in IFR flying, scenery is not really what you need. A slim and easy system is a lot more sexy....

I am running a 1:1 cockpit in original size to sit in and MSFS is no choice for this kind of application. I like the visuals and the World in MSFS but it is not practicable to implement so easy than P3D. My wish is, to have the scenery in this quality as it is with MSFS, but everything else you can forget. I need no Aircrafts, my sim is a A320, nothing else.

So it depends what you want to do, many (unnecessary) things around or the essential functionality. MSFS is really a GAME for simple gamers, P3D is a training solution of first class. I never called flight simming a GAME. It is a simulation.

I stay on P3D, because i do not want to be a slave of Microsft. But the scenery quality of MSFS vs. P3D is great. But if you want to learn flying, P3D is the better choice. I hope Lockheed Martin will follow up the scenery quality soon. Unfortunately P3D V6 is rubbish, no increase of performance or funcionality. A waste of money so far....

So I think the best solution is still allways P3D V5, but with the scenery (and nothing else) of MSFS.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I wholeheartedly agree with you, you mention a lot of the reasons I am staying with P3D.

In particular, I like what I quote here: "MSFS is really a GAME for simple gamers, P3D is a training solution of first class. I never called flight simming a GAME. It is a simulation."

I always think of MSFS (and have taken many a beating for it) as an arcade game.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
miraclemax

Post by miraclemax »

WOW! Really glad I ran across this; I'm also really tired of MS popping up in almost everything I do; let alone my favorite hobby. I bought MFS when it first came out more out of curiosity than anything else. I've used it maybe 4 times and got tired of jumping through MS's hoops to get anything done. Not to mention the messy and pointless control UI; talk about time consuming.

I use P3Dv5.4: no ctd's, great immersion... I run over 70 addon airports (I was lucky enough to have been at many of these airports and as a result assign a higher degree of import to having so many sceneries), numerous rescued FSX airports, full AIG and MAIW AI, etc, etc.

All that's fine and the fact that I can manipulate all these as I see fit, e.g. where they get loaded, makes it very convenient.

The biggest thing for me is that when I fly my PMDG 777, 747, 737 there are no distractions from "working" the plane. Call me an idiot, but I feel like I'm really flying it!

I remember the 2006 Int'l FlightSim Conference in Denver. The MS rep was pushing FSX by raffling off X-Box controllers!!! I thought at the time that someday FS will be an X-Box game...

For what it's worth, LM, if you are reading any of this, know that P3D has a serious and loyal following... for the time being, anyway.
max
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I am currently on 2 WIN11 PC’s flying my favorite aircraft in FSX, Xplane11, Xplane12, P3D4, P3D5, P3D6 and MSFS2020.

No Xbox Controller.

No problems with MSFS UI.

No MS popping problems.

No AIG

No MAWI AI

No arcade games on my setups.
Best Regards,
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

We all know, from many previous statements, that your setups, both hardware, OS and software are letter-perfect, and their standard and performance cannot possibly be surpassed by systems owned by mere mortals.

Sarcasm off.

But you have an uncanny way of missing the point, which here is that MSFS IS an arcade game.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.