How to reset shaders back to default?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Kalnon

How to reset shaders back to default?

Post by Kalnon »

I've been using RDShade for a while now with no problem and a couple days ago when I opened it, it suddenly asked for me to enter my email and activation code for some strange reason. When I try to do this, it tells me my key is bad.

I emailed RDPresets support and the guy is not being very helpful. First day I messaged him he responded once asking what error message I was getting (I already explained that it's asking for activation and the key is not working). I explained the issue again. Next day he emails me again just simply asking one question. "are you sure your using the correct email and activation key?" (yes I tried it a thousand times, the key given to me is no longer working and I use one email for everything).

Anyways, long story short, I'm getting tired of monkeying around with this support dude for 2 days and getting no real help so far so I bought EnvPlus and Envshade and I need to reset P3Dv5 shader settings and adjustments back to default before I can begin using them. How can I do this or is my only option to reinstall? If I have to reinstall, what leftover files do I need to delete? (I've reinstalled before and the RDShade settings stay applied).

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks
P3Dv5.4
Ryzen 5800X, Corsair 32 Gb 3600 Mhz, Sapphire Nitro+ 6900 XT
All time favorite aircraft: PMDG 747 Queen of the Skys V2, A2A Captain of the Ship B377 Stratocruiser, OZx Grumman Goose Redux
shermank

Re: How to reset shaders back to default?

Post by shermank »

Hi Kalnon..
Here is the basic procedure
Rebuilding Prepar3D's shaders
Navigate to the Prepar3D.cfg location and delete the "Prepar3D.cfg" file. ...
Navigate to the Prepar3D "Shaders" folder and delete the "Shaders" folder. ...
Launch Prepar3D.

BTW, you can also delete shaders within ENVSHADE…
When you get to the main options menu (the one with the sliders forvsettings, on the left is a list of things you can do. Among them is a setting to clear your shaders..
Either way will work

Your Shaders folder is located at the path below
Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D ► Shaders

For p3D cfg

Go to: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 and see if your scenery. cfg is there. If it is, delete it. P3D will rebuild the scenery.

Sherm
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Sherm, the prepar3d.cfg is here:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\prepar3dvX

where X is your version number.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

I didn't think you were supposed to delete the shaders folder, just the files within?
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

Thank you so much for the instructions guys, I really appreciate it. I'm at work atm so I can't try now but when I get home I will follow the instructions.

Thanks again!
P3Dv5.4
All time favorite aircraft: PMDG 747 Queen of the Skys V2, A2A Captain of the Ship B377 Stratocruiser, OZx Grumman Goose Redux
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

agfreeman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:32 pm I didn't think you were supposed to delete the shaders folder, just the files within?
You can delete the folder and P3D will just regenerate it next time it starts up. I always delete it after I update my graphics card drivers or when I install a new graphics card.
P3Dv5.4
Rogen

Post by Rogen »

shermank wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:48 pm Hi Kalnon..
Here is the basic procedure
Rebuilding Prepar3D's shaders
Navigate to the Prepar3D.cfg location and delete the "Prepar3D.cfg" file. ...
Navigate to the Prepar3D "Shaders" folder and delete the "Shaders" folder. ...
Launch Prepar3D.

BTW, you can also delete shaders within ENVSHADE…
When you get to the main options menu (the one with the sliders forvsettings, on the left is a list of things you can do. Among them is a setting to clear your shaders..
Either way will work

Your Shaders folder is located at the path below
Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D ► Shaders

For p3D cfg

Go to: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 and see if your scenery. cfg is there. If it is, delete it. P3D will rebuild the scenery.

Sherm
Sherm, Kalnon, not quite what needs to be done and is a little more on the complex side of things.

Firstly deleting the Prepar3D.cfg is not a needed process for shader file updates, in fact I've never deleted my Prepar3D.cfg (years). When deleted there goes all your customised settings values - why do that when a backup of the file allows you to recover those customised settings, and if you're not customising the Prepar3D.cfg you're missing out... as the defaults LM use are typically minimal values.

Secondly the actual shader files are located in the P3D root folder e.g. \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\ShadersHLSL
and it is these files in this folder RDShade and Envshade modify. These are the files you need to rollback to "default" prior to changing from RDShade to Envshade (and vice versa).

The shaders in ShadersHLSL then compile dynamic files which are used to build the display.

These dynamic shader files are located in the following folder and can be safely deleted whenever you like as they will be rebuilt from the files in the ShadersHLSL folder.

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v5 ► Shaders

As to getting back the default shader files for \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\ShadersHLSL

RDShade likely made a set of backups when first installed, check your RDShade manual and/or search for such backups.
For example Envshade places it's shader file backups in, \Documents\Envtex\Backup\P3Dv5\ShadersHLSL

Alternatively P3D can be repaired via choosing the right click / repair option of the Install_client.msi noting the repair option will overwrite any changed files which may or maynot be the most desirable option.

Happy to folow up on any questions.

Cheers
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

Rogen wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:34 pm Sherm, Kalnon, not quite what needs to be done and is a little more on the complex side of things.

Firstly deleting the Prepar3D.cfg is not a needed process for shader file updates, in fact I've never deleted my Prepar3D.cfg (years). When deleted there goes all your customised settings values - why do that when a backup of the file allows you to recover those customised settings, and if you're not customising the Prepar3D.cfg you're missing out... as the defaults LM use are typically minimal values.

Secondly the actual shader files are located in the P3D root folder e.g. \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\ShadersHLSL
and it is these files in this folder RDShade and Envshade modify. These are the files you need to rollback to "default" prior to changing from RDShade to Envshade (and vice versa).

The shaders in ShadersHLSL then compile dynamic files which are used to build the display.

These dynamic shader files are located in the following folder and can be safely deleted whenever you like as they will be rebuilt from the files in the ShadersHLSL folder.

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v5 ► Shaders

As to getting back the default shader files for \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\ShadersHLSL

RDShade likely made a set of backups when first installed, check your RDShade manual and/or search for such backups.
For example Envshade places it's shader file backups in, \Documents\Envtex\Backup\P3Dv5\ShadersHLSL

Alternatively P3D can be repaired via choosing the right click / repair option of the Install_client.msi noting the repair option will overwrite any changed files which may or maynot be the most desirable option.

Happy to folow up on any questions.

Cheers
Thank you for this information, I appreciate it. I just got home so I can do this now. I was checking and I did find some shader files that RDShade has here: C:\Program Files\RDShade\ShaderHLSLFiles\Prepar3D v5

I do not know though if this is a backup or if it's the modified versions RDShade uses though. Is there some way I can tell?

I can't find any anywhere else. I checked ProgramData and Documents folders as well as the AppData/Local & AppData/Roaming folders and found nothing. I do have some P3D files backed up but I just checked and the ShadersHLSL folder is not one of them. I guess I will reinstall if I have too.
P3Dv5.4
shermank

Post by shermank »

It looks like I have a lot of egg smeared on my face. I am traveling away from my home computer and setup so was unable to verify the links I quoted which were from posts in the Avsim P3D forum…
Sorry for any confusion..
Sherm
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

Hello again, I just wanted to share that I ended up reinstalling P3D and having it install the default shader files. I also did reset my Prepar3D.cfg file as I looked and saw some RDShade adjustments added there. I also deleted the other shader files at
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

I installed Envshade and Envplus and have it working. I did run into curious trouble though. After I applied the Envshade/EnvPlus settings into the sim, I suddenly got this error message "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG" when I tried to load a flight. I did some research and found that it's a common issue many users had with P3Dv5 and that it's likely related to the GPU. Confusing though this suddenly happened right after I installed the EnvShade/EnvPlus settings though it may just be coincedence. I remember I updated my graphics card driver just a couple days ago so I don't know if that has something to do with it (I have a AMD 6900 XT).

I saw some say to turn off EA/HDR so I did this and I have P3D working again. I also tried a Windows Registry workaround that was supposed to fix it but it didn't work for me.

At least I can fly again and I already have P3Dv5 looking great, better even than I had it using RDShade. Seems I've been abandoned by the RDShade developer, last email I sent him 24 over hours ago asking for troubleshooting instructions or some actual help and I've received no response yet :(
P3Dv5.4