P3Dv6 patch 3 Effect by DAWN and DUSK

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
gaab

Re: P3Dv6 patch 3 Effect by DAWN and DUSK

Post by gaab »

gaab wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:54 pm
agfreeman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:03 am
gaab wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:20 am I tried these parameters in a V5 fx file with no result, whatever high value I used.
These changes are for v6, not v5. V6 is substantially different in terms of the numbers needed, so bear that in mind.
Off course, that's why I wanted to modify a V5 effect to use the aircraft with V6 (as so far we have only one add-on officially compatible with V6).
Effect type "Shield lights, Cabin lights,, ..." needs a more complex change than just adding the Intensity Day and Night parms...
Looking to the "fx_c130_vcgr.fx" shows that Type=19 in V5 is now Type=27 in V6....

An "how to" update V5 effects to V6 (for different type) by LM would be VERY welcome.

Gérard
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

gaab wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:09 pm
Effect type "Shield lights, Cabin lights,, ..." needs a more complex change than just adding the Intensity Day and Night parms...
Looking to the "fx_c130_vcgr.fx" shows that Type=19 in V5 is now Type=27 in V6....

An "how to" update V5 effects to V6 (for different type) by LM would be VERY welcome.

Gérard
This is actually documented: https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/mode ... rview.html

Type=19 For normal particles the type should be set to 19. Some specific effects require a different number:
# Effect
3 Lightning
21 Extrusions (such as wake)
22 Debris (the emission of library objects)
25 Light sources
26 Effects emitting effects
27 Point Light
28 Spot Light

fx_animaldust.fx( Type=19 )
fx_beacong.fx( Type=25 )
fx_cloudlightning01.fx( Type=3 )
fx_contrail_l.fx( Type=21 )
fx_flare.fx( Type=26 )
fx_object_test.fx( Type=22 )
mpni

Post by mpni »

Hi
It seems there is a new value in v6 SDK?

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv6/sdk/mode ... rview.html

"For normal particles the type should be set to 19. Some specific effects require a different number:
# Effect
3 Lightning
21 Extrusions (such as wake)
22 Debris (the emission of library objects)
25 Light sources
26 Effects emitting effects
27 Point Light
28 Spot Light
29 Sprite Light"
mpni

Post by mpni »

fx_animaldust.fx( Type=19 )
fx_beacong.fx( Type=25 )
fx_cloudlightning01.fx( Type=3 )
fx_contrail_l.fx( Type=21 )
fx_flare.fx( Type=26 )
fx_object_test.fx( Type=22 )
fx_air_taxi_edge_blue.fx( Type=29 )
gaab

Post by gaab »

The learning center is very cryptic !

A good tutorial (not a youtube video) would be welcome.
Do you know any "serious" one ?

Gérard
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

I don't know of any videos: unfortunately, mine has been by trial and error. I don't have third part many add-ons and I don't fancy going through the pain of making changes to all of them to get the lightig right, so I hope something might come about.

My workflow (since Michel has posted about the FX editor) is load all files into Notepad++, make changes, click File>Reload ALL in the FX editor and press L to turn the lights on/off. Not sure about external lights on scenary: you might need to adjust the time slider to re-trigger the fx change to load.

V5:

Falloff Exponent=2.00
Intensity Day=10.00
Intensity Night=20.00

V6:
Falloff Exponent=1.00
Intensity Night=40.00
Intensity Day=10000.00

The key changes are the exponent (I found it being set to 2 gave far too harsh a light), and the day intensity. Night needed changing after reducing the exponent.

I think it's fair to say I've got it close to being the same, but not quite perfect. Hopefully you can use it as a starting point and use these values as guides.

I've not played with any of the other settings: I don't have the time or enthusiasm. It's certainly been an eye opener into what a developer must put into developing an aircraft. The amount of time spent must be mind boggling.

V5 Dusk:

V6 Dusk:

V5 Night:

V6 Night:
aguiar

Post by aguiar »

agfreeman wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:14 am I don't
My workflow (since Michel has posted about the FX editor) is load all files into Notepad++, make changes, click File>Reload ALL in the FX editor and press L to turn the lights on/off. Not sure about external lights on scenary: you might need to adjust the time slider to re-trigger the fx change to load.

V5:

Falloff Exponent=2.00
Intensity Day=10.00
Intensity Night=20.00

V6:
Falloff Exponent=1.00
Intensity Night=40.00
Intensity Day=10000.00

The key changes are the exponent (I found it being set to 2 gave far too harsh a light), and the day intensity. Night needed changing after reducing the exponent.

I think it's fair to say I've got it close to being the same, but not quite perfect. Hopefully you can use it as a starting point and use these values as guides.

I've not played with any of the other settings: I don't have the time or enthusiasm. It's certainly been an eye opener into what a developer must put into developing an aircraft. The amount of time spent must be mind boggling.
Hello guys,
I've tried all your sugestions mentioned in this thread without success. I'm using v6.1.9 and so far I haven't been able to use the aircraft I've ported from v5 during dawn/dusk hours. The cockpit remains totally black and so does the surrounding environment. But they do work flawlessly at night and day.
I think that this is something LM should fix.
Anyway could you elaborate a little more on what files I have to modify?
Thanks for your help.
Aguiar
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

The first thing you need to do is identify what fx files are used.

Open the aircraft cfg file and locate the [Lights] section. The file is located in [Install Location]\Prepar3D v6\SimObjects\Airplanes\[Your Aircraft].

[lights]

//Types: 1 Beacon, 2 Strobe, 3 Navigation or Position, 4 Cockpit, 5 Landing, 6 Taxi, 7 Recognition, 8 Wing, 9 Logo, 10 Cabin

light.0 = 4, 53.161, -0.94 , 1.25, fx_aircraft_spotlight

You then need to go into effects folder:

[Install Location]\Prepar3D v6\Effects

You can then locate the fx files. In the example above you'd look for: fx_aircraft_spotlight.fx

Hope this helps.

Andy
Last edited by agfreeman on Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aguiar

Post by aguiar »

Thank you And