Out of memory errors

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
techguyking

Out of memory errors

Post by techguyking »

Hello everyone.

I keep getting out of memory errors after flying for a period of time. I have no addons installed, and i'm currently on the latest version, 3.2.3.16769 . This will also happen even if the simulator is paused for a period of time. I downloaded Process explorer, and can watch the "Virtual Size" in crease slowly to the 4GB limit, and then P3D crashes shortly after. This is a brand new installation of windows 8.1, no additional software is running either.

I have tried moving every slider and graphics option to its lowest settings, and this only prolongs the time interval before a crash.

System Specs:
Windows 8.1 64bit
Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3ghz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti

I'm really at a loss on what to do. I will will be happy to provide any more information or try any suggestions, thanks!
Mike LM

Re: Out of memory errors

Post by Mike LM »

Have you ever installed any add-ons? There may be some residual effects that were not completely uninstalled. Also, what is "a period of time"?

If you don't have any add-ons installed, then a reinstallation would be a fairly easy way to reset your setup.

- Mike
techguyking

Post by techguyking »

This is a brand new installation, no addons have ever been installed. I actually have two identical systems, both hardware and software, that are both exhibiting the same issue. With graphics at a fairly normal setting, the program will crash in <30 minutes. If I have every graphic setting turned down to its lowest, I can get about 2 hours of flight time.
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

What are you doing during the two hours? What aircraft are you flying? Where are you going to/from?

- Mike
techguyking

Post by techguyking »

Running the "Basics of Flight" tutorial with the Mooney Bravo. Its set up so the sim can be reset, and a new user can sit down and attempt the challenge. The collision/crashes have been turned off so that the sim will keep flying even if the sim pilot crashes, or just walks away. There is no particular direction of travel other than what the aircraft will randomly bank to.
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

Does it happen with any of the other included scenarios? After running the "Basics of Flight" scenario, the VAS usage started going up as the scenario went on, but capped out once it was completed once.

- Mike
jprophet

Post by jprophet »

I would suggest removing your pagefile.sys file altogether by first specifying "no page file" under the advanced options and then going into safe mode and removing this file altogether.

check the condition of your hard drive by getting defraggler and then clean the drive and make sure it is in optimal state before you ask windows to rebuild your page file.

Note dont defrag your hard drive if you have a SSD drive. The manufacturers utilities should handle this.

Also while in normal mode run this command to get rid of the hibernation file which runs large

c:\powercfg -h off
techguyking

Post by techguyking »

The pagefile/virtual memory was already set to off. I just turned the hibernation off as well.

Will try with another scenario today.
techguyking

Post by techguyking »

Just tried the "Tampa Bay Tour" flight, with the same results. Out of memory error. I just turned crashes off, and let the plane fly whichever direction it ended up. Crashed in about an hour or so. Same settings on everything else.
Fervex

Post by Fervex »

Set Texture to 2048 and chose lower graphical options.
The actual game doesn't support all at max even our video card and PC support them.
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

For reference, what is your VAS usage starting at when you load up Prepar3D?

You mentioned that your system is "set up so that the sim can be reset". How are you setting that up?

- Mike
techguyking

Post by techguyking »

Fervex - I've tried with every setting as low as posisble, and textures at 256. Still will run out of memory and crash in a few hours.

Mike - Starting up with the basics of flight scenario, it starts at 1.45GB usage on the VAS.
For the reset, I have a joystick button configured to "Reset Scenario" and the in-game Crash response is set to "AutoRecover". This way it never drops out to the menu screen, and can be reset whenever needed.
Fervex

Post by Fervex »

Nice test.
Mike is on way and better than me.
i suggest to try this for testing:
start msconfig, services hide microsoft ones and uncheck others, restart and test (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... =windows-8) work with W10 too.
I have 1.2Go when starting P3D 3.2 with standard situation BUT NO MORE than 3.2 Go with addon.
Unload DLL modification in registry too
Mike LM

Post by Mike LM »

We have made some performance improvements for the next update, so those might help fix your issues.

It doesn't seem like its happening for other users, so the problem is likely something unique to your setup. I'm trying to replicate your setup as closely as possible and can't get matching results.

- Mike
72westy

Post by 72westy »

Fervex wrote:Set Texture to 2048 and chose lower graphical options.
The actual game doesn't support all at max even our video card and PC support them.
Setting it at 4096 would only be relevant if one is using 4096 textures. Having it set at 4096 and no 4096 textures should not have any effect on performance overall.
Windows10Pro 22H2 Build 19045.2728/Corei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/GSkill32GBDDR3CL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070 OC/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayDL/RosewillChallengerTower/CorsairRM750w/X56HOTAS/InateckKU5211/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2