Flashing Square Artifacts

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
Shamrock727

Flashing Square Artifacts

Post by Shamrock727 »

As has been posted about many times and reported on by quite a lot of people, the existence of flashing square artifacts is still present in P3D V4.5. It would be nice to see some investigation on your side (LM) into what exactly is causing this and how a fix can be applied so that the issue never happens again. I have no such issue with any other program on my PC apart from P3D V4. The issue is very present at night and ruins the immersion, this issue is caused by dynamic lighting as it only happens in or around areas with dynamic lighting.

The general debugging steps are totally irrelevant to this post. Its quite obvious that its an issue on your side and not ours or a developers issue.

Can we get a word from an official P3D dev team member on this issue, as it needs as much attention as it can get so that it can be fixed asap. I would hate to purchase P3D V5 or what ever comes next and have this issue still present in my sim.

The issue in question - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nifp0UO8YMo

Other places it has been reported:

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index. ... artifacts/

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129101

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5391 ... g-p3d-v43/
Martyson

Re: Flashing Square Artifacts

Post by Martyson »

I have not seen that problem in any P3D version thru v4.4.

Testing P3Dv4.5 for a few days now and have not seen it.

My last night flight into KDTW crystal clear (few screenshots):
http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=133236
Last edited by Martyson on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Shamrock727

Post by Shamrock727 »

Martyson wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 pm I have not seen that problem in any P3D version thru v4.4.

Testing P3Dv4.5 for a few days now and have not seen it.
Maybe you are one of the lucky ones. There are many of us that still have the issue since 4.0 was released and I for one feel abandoned, like LM don't really pay much attention to some of the bigger issues with their program.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

You mentioned:
" this issue is caused by dynamic lighting as it only happens in or around areas with dynamic lighting. "

Do you have a location(s) to test?

Which version of P3D are you personally testing?
Because you said:
"I would hate to purchase P3D V5 or what ever comes next and have this issue still present in my sim. "
Best Regards,
Shamrock727

Post by Shamrock727 »

Martyson wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:19 pm You mentioned:
" this issue is caused by dynamic lighting as it only happens in or around areas with dynamic lighting. "

Do you have a location(s) to test?

Which version of P3D are you personally testing?
Because you said:
"I would hate to purchase P3D V5 or what ever comes next and have this issue still present in my sim. "
The most noticeable aircraft that this happens with is the FSLabs A320/319 with Spotlights. It also happens with any other addon aircraft or default in areas with lots of dynamic lighting. It can happen anywhere, at anytime during the hours of darkness, even at default airfields.

My P3D version is 4.5, as I said previously the issue has been present ever since 4.0/1 and the introduction of dynamic lighting. I have never experienced this issue before in P3D V3, FSX or other programs such as X-Plane. The issue only occurs with P3D V4.X. I have tried benchmark programs such as heaven benchmark and the issue does not arise therefore eliminating the theory that it is my hardware that is causing the issue. On that note - I have a fairly high spec system and do not lack in any of the areas where recommended system specs are applied by LM. I have investigated thoroughly into this issue and came to the conclusion through reading countless other threads on this issue that this problem is caused by dynamic lighting as turning off dynamic lighting completely removes this issue.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

"The most noticeable aircraft that this happens with is the FSLabs A320/319 with Spotlights. It also happens with any other addon aircraft or default in areas with lots of dynamic lighting. It can happen anywhere, at anytime during the hours of darkness, even at default airfields."

I do not use FSLabs A320/319 with Spotlights.

When you see the problem with other add-on aircraft (e.g., default or PMDG) at a specific default airfield post the location information and I will give it a test.
Best Regards,
Simbol

Post by Simbol »

This looks like what is called video artefacts, video artefacts happens for a couple of reasons but the most common is due to unstable GPU overclock or issues with video drivers.

What is your current video card and video drivers? and can you monitor your GPU temp and VRAM usage when these are in use? also can you confirm if you are using any tool that would OC your GPU based on profiles? if so try disabling it to see if this improve.

Regards,
Simbol
CEO Flight Sim Technologies Ltd
Oficial Website: https://www.FSReborn.com
Shamrock727

Post by Shamrock727 »

I am not running any overclock what so ever for the GPU. I have used Heaven BM with some night scenes and the artefacts are not present which they would be if it were a card issue right?

I am running driver 425.31 and running an NVIDIA GTX Strix Asus 1070 O8G.
Shamrock727

Post by Shamrock727 »

Just to update - I am in the middle of returning the card back to the company I bought it from in exchange for a new card. If the issue comes up with the new card then it is more than likely an issue with either P3D or something else.

I will update in the coming week when I get my 'new' card.
downscc

Post by downscc »

I wouldn't put the FSL Spotlights on my computer.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Shamrock727

Post by Shamrock727 »

It worsens with FSL Spotlights. To be honest I haven't noticed it much with any other aircraft apart from the FSL A320 which requires spotlights to be installed - I wish FSL would integrate the DL into the model like everyone else does instead of relying on an external software such as Spotlights.
Shamrock727

Post by Shamrock727 »

This post can now be marked as resolved.

Turns out it was my graphics card, switching out my GPU for a GTX 1060 fixed the issue - therefore my main 1070 is being RMA'd and hopefully the new card won't be any problem.