Ground Mesh is popping in the mountains and little blue tears/rips

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
cvearl

Ground Mesh is popping in the mountains and little blue tears/rips

Postby cvearl » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:48 pm

I have recently returned to Flight Sim.

Running P3Dv4 as of few weeks ago. Fresh install. Added ASN with a few ORBX NA Regions and a few A2A planes so very clean. No additional meshes or scenery at all. All seemed well flying around the flagpole at KORS. Recently started to try flying in the mountains in NA regions and I see little blue tears on the sides of the hills/mountains and the ground/mesh morphs/pops a little as I fly by. This is all well within 1 mile of me. I see it happen randomly and constantly all around my aircraft. While subtle, it's very distracting. Worse, there are often a few tears scattered about until I get closer and then they smooth out. They are colored blue.

Anyone else seen this?

Charles.

hermes82

Re: Ground Mesh is popping in the mountains and little blue tears/rips

Postby hermes82 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 pm

i'm having similar issues, fresh install of windows 10, p3d v4.5, active sky next, rex environment force plus sky force (neither of which i've been running), ORBX base, vector, openlc europe+ north america, no other addon's and at low level among the mountains I get the same, i've reinstalled nvidia driver twice, disabled all gaming function's including xbox, stopped windows full screen optimisations, stopped file indexing and disabled anything I don't want running ie photo editing software I use etc and still i'm getting this tearing that I wasn't getting with windows 7, i've deleted shaders, restarted my pc between nvidia driver installation, used DDU to uninstall each time, i've tried deleting the .cfg file and all the other tricks and tips i've picked up over the years without any sucess, my system barely scrapes in for p3d v4 minimum specs but it ran fine under windows 7 on a hard drive, now it's on an ssd which allthough it's boosting pc startup times it hasn't made any other impact unless you count the headache rooting through the garbage in windows 10,

pc specs
intel i7 2700k
16gb ddr3 ram
500gb samsung 850 evo ssd C drive
nvidia gtx 970
p3d v4.5 on 500gb western digital velociraptor

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:23 pm

I have Orbx NA / regions / airports.

Have not noticed the pops / tears .

Maybe you could do a few screenshots or a short video.

Have you asked Orbx support?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:11 am

orbx hadn't been in the scenery library when I was flying and this happened so essentially I was running p3d stock scenery, I didn't realise till I was east of vancouver that I was flying over land where there should be a lake, after reinstalling scenery and doing another test flight the result was the same, no blurries and frame rate set to 25 and rarely dipped below but still got the tearing, the only new thing is orbx central so i'll check on their site, it may have caused problem's even though the scenery wasn't in my scenery.cfg

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:09 pm

I checked the orbx forum and there were a few things that cropped up as issues with the newer orbx central which orbx are looking into so I uninstalled it and reinstalled FTX central which straight away added updates to global earth base, vector, libraries and open lc north america, I installed the updates but when I tried to configure open lc north america it threw up an error and sent an error report, so it seems that orbx may well be the culprit as since the update the tearing and blue cracks have become worse, I think it may be a conflict between p3d native textures and orbx textures but we'll have to wait and see, i'll uninstall all the orbx scenery and reinstall and see if that fixes it

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:57 pm

ok, I uninstalled orbx etc then uninstalled p3d v4.5 and restarted the computer, I reinstalled P3d v4.5 and ran the default f22 through a few mountains and the tears were still there even as a vanilla setup, I uninstalled p3d v4.5 and downloaded a fresh install, reinstalled p3dv4.5 and tested again, still tears so I used ddu to unistall my graphics driver then downloaded v441.41 just incase it was a driver issue and then retried, still have the tearing on a vanilla setup, my windows 10 was a fresh install on a 500gb samsung 850 evo 7 day's ago without a hitch so i'm pretty sure I don't have any errors or missing .dll's
did the last install come with the hotfix 2 or do I need to patch that seperate, i'm not going to go any further with regards to installing scenery etc as it will just be more to uninstall later

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:58 am

just finished a planned flight from vancouver to seatle through the mountains, the tearing is still a big issue but I didn't see any of the blue crack's, the textures do seem to be morphing while you're flying over or towards the mountains untill I inevitably end up with tearing, I didn't do a video as the recording itself will cause problems and trying to grab a screenshot is nigh on impossible, the blue crack's look like texture tiles missmatch while morphing leaving open edges which gives the blue colour and tearing doesn't really need any visual clues as we all know what it looks like, I downloaded the saitek x52 pro driver and software for windows 10 64bit in the hope that it may have had some effect, i've just disabled the mouse nub on the throttle as I seem to remember some issues affecting graphics with fsx, it's 5.30 am so i'm going to give it another try now before heading to bed

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:39 pm

ok so things i've tried today, uninstalled p3d v4.5 and reinstalled in a seperate folder on my C drive which is a samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd, still have tearing in vanilla setup, enabled gaming mode, disabled and uninstalled xbox, disabled cortana, turned off indexing, changed the power plan to full power, ran nvidia with "let the application decide" tried using advanced setting and set "Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias" set to clamp and shut down all processes that are not needed which was only my photo editing software, I had my fps limited to 25 which I was achieving almost everywhere then changed to 60fps in case 25 was causing the issues as it had sometime in the past, each of the changes were done one at a time with flights in between, nothing made a difference one way or another.
when it was installed previously on a 500gb western digital velociraptor hard drive and I was running windows 7 ultimate with all my addons I had virtually zero tearing, I set my .cfg [STARTUP] as follows and made no other changes to it.

[STARTUP]
DEMO=0
STARTUP_DEMO=
LOAD_SCENARIO_TOOLS=1
LoadCorePlugins=1
LoadVirtualReality=0
EnableViveProEyeTracking=0
EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup=0
EnableVoiceControl=0
EnableVoiceControlDebug=0
LoadWindow=1

i'm running out of idea's here so any help would be much appreciated guy's

Sky_King

Postby Sky_King » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm not a Win10 user, but you can try "Disable full screen optimization" which is seen by a right click on p3d.exe and selecting Properties. I am not sure about the actual keystrokes, am doing this from memory, perhaps other Win10 users can chime in here.

Happy New Year!
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK,Black Edition Motherboard; Intel I7-4790K CPU; 16 Gb G.Skill RAM (F3-2400); Win 10 Pro; 2 - Samsung 1Tb SSDs; Toshiba 3Tb hard drive; Gigabyte 1080ti Extreme 11 Gb VRAM. P3D v5 HF1

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:50 am

thanks for the reply but that was one of the first things I did, i've also tried with no autogen and i'm still getting the problem, i've disabled everything from cortana to one drive and all other non essentials and nothing has made a difference one way or the other, i'd put off switching to windows 10 because I never had any of the issues encountered by windows 10 users with each update it installed and on windows 7 it ran perfectly with tons of addon's, now I can't get it to run stock with no autogen without screen tearing

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:33 pm

I managed to sort my issue out, I set my framerate to 30, enabled vsync and triple buffering in p3d, set nvidia to vsnc half refresh rate and triple buffering in nvidina control panel
in my .cfg file I added

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.37 instead of deafault= 0.33

[TERRAIN]
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=30

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=15

this has got rid of the tearing and texture morphing completely and I can now fly in and out of the mountains at 400 knots in dino's eurofighter without blurries and at a higher framerate, i've added orbx scenery bit by bit and tested it and everything is fine, setting the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.37 instead of the stock 0.33 has given it just tha bit of extra cpu time on each tile it processes without losing significant fps

give it a try and see if it helps cvearl

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08 am

i'm having similar issues, fresh install of windows 10, p3d v4.5, active sky next, rex environment force plus sky force (neither of which i've been running), ORBX base, vector, openlc europe+ north america, no other addon's and at low level among the mountains I get the same, i've reinstalled nvidia driver twice, disabled all gaming function's including xbox, stopped windows full screen optimisations, stopped file indexing and disabled anything I don't want running ie photo editing software I use etc and still i'm getting this tearing that I wasn't getting with windows 7, i've deleted shaders, restarted my pc between nvidia driver installation, used DDU to uninstall each time, i've tried deleting the .cfg file and all the other tricks and tips i've picked up over the years without any sucess, my system barely scrapes in for p3d v4 minimum specs but it ran fine under windows 7 on a hard drive, now it's on an ssd which allthough it's boosting pc startup times it hasn't made any other impact unless you count the headache rooting through the garbage in windows 10,

pc specs
intel i7 2700k
16gb ddr3 ram
500gb samsung 850 evo ssd C drive
nvidia gtx 970
p3d v4.5 on 500gb western digital velociraptor

You mentioned:
"still i'm getting this tearing that I wasn't getting with windows 7"

With your system specs while using Win7 all was ok with P3Dv4.5.

Do you think your reported graphics problems with P3Dv4.5 was caused by WIN10?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

hermes82

Postby hermes82 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:45 am

fps with windows 7 wasn't as stable as it is in windows 10 but as I said I didn't have tearing, not unless I was at 200 feet and over 450 knots through the mountains.
I'm much happer with windows 10 now that p3d is up and running without any other hitches, I can maintain on average 27 fps in most places but obviously I haven't got my settings through the roof, it may just have been giving the cpu those extra fractions of a second or maybe vsync and framerate settings, regardless i'm back up and flying again and i'm getting a much more stable flight than I was getting

NATORDEN

Postby NATORDEN » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Hello, I seem to have been struck by this problem recently, my hilly terrain has a lot of blue line/transparent tears. I tried your fix but it hasn't worked sadly.
The last thing I want to do is reinstall p3d (currently using the latest available 4.5 download) as I got over 150gb worth of scenery installed.
Here is a link with images showing you the problem https://imgur.com/a/ht2opRn
CPU: Ryzen 3600, RAM: G.Skill 3GB DDR4 @3200mhz, GPU: RX 5700XT Red Devil, MoBo: Asus Prime B450-Plus

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”