HF Radio Fequencies

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
azreark1

HF Radio Fequencies

Post by azreark1 »

Hello,

So my customer is requesting their radio's to be functional in our military jet, so HF and UHF would need to be functional in the sim. Is this something LM is looking into at all?
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Re: HF Radio Fequencies

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

The COM frequency range can be configured in the [radio] section of the Aircraft Configuration File.

Code: Select all

[radio]
ComFrequencyRange=118.000,137.000

This will apply to both COM 1 and COM 2 radios. See the Learning Center article for Aircraft Configuration Files for additional information.

Hope this helps!
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

So if we replaced the 118.000 with say 2.850 then the COM radio could be tuned from 2.850 to 137.000? Also, what version of Prepar3D was this first introduced in?
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello WarpD,

Correct. The BGL frequency attribute supports ranges from 0.0 and 999.992 as well. This feature was first available in v2.1.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
AdawgPHL

Post by AdawgPHL »

I’ve done what was said above an added the frequency range line, however the lowest my com1 will go is 110.000and the highest was something like 360.000
Or something around that number. Now if I’m not mistaken that VHF/UHF range, where’s the HF range?
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

Tuning restrictions may also be hard-coded into the aircraft's avionics code.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

This is likely a problem with the radio display. The gauge itself may have assumptions built in. This is the case with the Bendix King radios in some of the default aircraft. The aircraft developer that sets the higher range will need to assure their gauge display is compatible. You may be able to see the actual frequency in the tooltip.

Hope this helps,
Mike
AdawgPHL

Post by AdawgPHL »

Mike Schroeter wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 am This is likely a problem with the radio display. The gauge itself may have assumptions built in. This is the case with the Bendix King radios in some of the default aircraft. The aircraft developer that sets the higher range will need to assure their gauge display is compatible. You may be able to see the actual frequency in the tooltip.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Where could i find the gauge that would have the assumptions in it?
Are they editable? As in could I change it to be able to display [and tune] HF frequencies in game.
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

I think the default aircraft still assume the old range. You would need to work with the aircraft developer for any particular aircraft.
JB3DG

Post by JB3DG »

If the gauge is a dll then there is no way it would even be modifiable.
Jonathan Bleeker
Milviz systems dev

Formerly known as Naruto-kun
Mike Schroeter
Lockheed Martin

Post by Mike Schroeter »

The aircraft/gauge developer would have the source code for the DLL.
EllipticCurve

Post by EllipticCurve »

Your best bet is to write a custom HF radio and map the frequencies to the VHF comm range used by the sim.

ATC wouldn't work any other way due to the fact the internal ATC system only knows the standard comm frequencies.
All comments and opinions are my own.